Sunday 7 November 2010

Jones has never fired a coach midseason

It marked the first time that Jones, who has never fired a coach midseason, did not assure the media that Phillips would remain Dallas' coach for the rest of the season. The 1-7 Cowboys have lost five consecutive games.

"There are a lot of people here who are certainly going to suffer and suffer consequences," Jones said. "I'm talking about within the team -- players, coaches who have got careers. This is certainly a setback. I know firsthand what it is to have high expectations. I think unquestionably that our expectations were thinking we're something we were not, possibly looking at what might be relative to a Super Bowl. All of those things have certainly contributed early.

"But we have so many things that we need to correct and address, as this game so vividly exposed and previous games have. I've got a lot of work to do, got a lot of decisions to make. And it's not just one, two, three or four. There are several decisions. I think everybody in this country would agree that there's a lot wrong with this team that we've got to address, and I'm certainly the one to address it."

More From ESPN Dallas

Everything you need to know about the Cowboys' game against the Packers can be found in our Team Center.
• Check out the Cowboys blog

Jones said he would talk to his team Monday. He would not say what he planned to discuss with the Cowboys.

Phillips, who admitted that the Cowboys played like a poorly coached team, avoided a question about whether he expects to be fired.

"I'm not into all of that," Phillips said. "I don't even know who we play next. I was focused on this game."

Jones also declined to discuss any specific issues, saying that the Packers simply outplayed the Cowboys in every phase of the game.

"I can't put my finger on it because I don't have enough fingers," Jones said.

No comments:

Post a Comment